In case you haven’t heard, Elizabeth Gilbert’s Big Magic is basically my favorite book ever. (Summary: I thought it would be total woo woo nonsense. It wasn’t, and it’s changed everything for me. Read it.)
One of my favorite moments is when she encourages creatives of all walks to have an affair. Mind you, not a romantic affair the heart, but an affair with your creativity. She writes, “Stop treating your creativity like it’s a tired, old, unhappy marriage (a grind, a drag) and start regarding it with the fresh eyes of a passionate lover.” So good!
It’s easy for me to get dragged down in the day to day minutiae of running a business and forget that this is supposed to be fun, exciting, and a little bit magical. Remember the early days, when you could work for hours in a state of flow, exhilarated by every keystroke? Let’s bring that back with a salacious new mindset about our work.
Without further ado, here are eight ways you can have an affair with your creativity:
- Take off the yoga pants (sacrilege!) and get dressed. In real clothes. With a bra and shoes and jewelry and everything.
- Change locations. You know that scene in Sex in the City when Carrie sneaks off to a fancy Manhattan hotel to cheat on Aiden with Mr. Big? Do that, but with your work instead. Head to a darling new coffee shop, bring your laptop to a fancy bistro for lunch or, for extreme measures, check into a hotel for a fresh perspective.
- Do your hair and makeup. I’m talking curling iron, red lipstick, mascara, the works. I do not know why this works - but it so, so does.
- Sneak off at odd hours. This one goes both ways. Sneak off for a pedicure and a glass of cava during the middle of the day, then work on a blog post after dark, when everyone else is asleep.
- Clean your office. Remember, we’re treating creativity like a new lover that doesn’t know you let the dishes pile up in the sink. Organize, rearrange and decorate your office to make it a place you’re excited to go to work.
- Paint your nails (or better yet, get a gel manicure). Enjoy watching them dance along the keyboard in all their colorful glory.
- Get cozy with your creativity. Curl up on the couch with your laptop, a soft blanket and a latte. Spend all day lost in the moment.
- Cheat on your first creative love. Try a new medium - whether it’s painting, writing or just your adult coloring books (#basic) without worrying about how it will translate to your work.